Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Random Reviews Young Adult Books

These are just some books I've read in the past month or two that I thought I'd write a short review on.
Body of Christopher Creed, The by Carol Plum-Ucci,
This is a hard book to review without giving away the major plot points.Suffice it to say(if you read the book you'll understand that) anyone who lives in small town should read this book!We all know about bullying and outcasts especially in high schol but as you get older you realize its not just high school there are adult bullies and outcasts too.And in a a small town everyone has a secret.I found this book engaging and see why it won so many honor awards.I would venture to say that everyone should read this book!4****

Thirteenth Child (Frontier Magic Book) by Patricia Wrede,
I did enjoy this book its the first in a series and I am hoping the next 2 books will have a little more meat to it now that we know the characters.This one was definatly introducing the characters and with some excitement at the end.Ms.Wrede is a good writer and I have enjoyed her other books so I know this series will be good overall.I also have some theorioes about certain characters that I will be curious to find out if I am right about.4****

Anansi Boys: A Novel by Neil Gaiman
Ah Neil you did it again..I just love anything this man writes!!And this one was no exception!I won't go into the whole story ,but the characters in this book had me laughing.There wasn't any flat characters at all they were all so fleshed out so you cared what happened to each and everyone of them including the bad guy!Loved it!
5*****

In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez
This was a hilarious book..If you like Terry Pratchett or Terry Brooks Andover Try this book!Never Dead Ned is a great character though his name sounds like he can't die its more lke he can't stay dead he dies all the time..When he ends up in charge of Ogre Company his life as it is will change forever I can't say more you have to read this book!!
4 1/2 ****

Waiting for Normal by,Leslie Connor
This is a great book I see why it won awards!Addie is a young girl hoping for a normal life,but with a a mother (mommers) who is an all or nothing type of person normal isn't likely to happen.This book shows that heroes are everyday people who care about each other.The characters in this book are compelling and real.Addie is the true hero in this book though through it all she keeps a positive attitude even when left alone for days on end.I highly recommend this book!!!!
5*****

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
The concept of this book is very interesting the Blue Bloods came over on the Mayflower they are "immortal"but in a new way they live to 100 then are reborn then in their teens they aquire all their past memories.This was a quick read I guess all the brand names were a bit much they took up too much of the book.I will finish reading this series and am hoping it gets better.It definatly didn't live up to all the hype so far.
3 1/2 ***

Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz
Well I certainly liked this book better than the first..it does grab you and keep you interested especially the last 100 pages I couldn't put it down.That being said I wish there was more character develpoment and less fashionista.I am wondering if anything is going to redeem Mimi she is the most awful person and I guess I like an anti-hero I can root for at least somewhat.I will finish this series off as it left you hanging so much that a person almost has to.My advice though would be to make sure you have ALL the books before you begin they are a quck read with major cliffhangers.
4****

Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz
I really like this book but I thought it was the last in the series but I guess not.So now have to wait till Oct.09 for the next one.I do like the whole concept of this series its so interesting.I do feel that there were major holes in the story like when Bliss leaves Allegra and she was screaming and then never went back to her at all,I thought Schyler visited her mom every sunday?So what happened there?It was never explained so am hoping it will be in the next book!All in all a pretty good series.
4****

1 comment:

  1. The fact that I haven't read any of these just brings home that there are so many books out there to get to someday...and that I'll never be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete